Monday, June 28, 2010

Apprehensions from a good friend

I think a common misconception that people have about a cancer diagnosis is that there will ensue an overwhelming feeling of fear, an all encompassing grief and total loss of identity. NOT TRUE! Or at least not in this case study. A good friend of mine is embarking on the most exciting time of her life. I love asking her about all of it, to see the smile that she doesn't even know has crept across her face as she dishes out the details. During one of our conversations the other day, she became hesitant when telling me something about her life that was bringing her joy. She then opened her heart to me and let me know how sad it made her to go on about her happy life when I'm going through this. I get that. I understand how she would feel that way, but I hope I convinced her that all I want, more then anything, is to savor the joys of life...friends lives included therein. I told her that I wouldn't trade lives with anyone, eventhough I have huge question marks dripping like sweat from my pores. I love my life. On some bizarre level, I love this challenge. To all of you who are/will or have read anything I've written about this journey, I just want to ask you to take a little time to savor life down to it's marrow. I did this all the time before my diagnosis and it's made all the difference in the world. You can walk on a razors edge with exquisite balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment