Tuesday, June 28, 2011

clean scans old friends

Clean scans. The first time I heard these words uttered from my doctor, I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. It seems like the world has gotten heavier though, and as much as I rejoice in my good fortune (this time round), I can't help but immediately think of what my many friends are going through(have gone through) when the news regarding their scans is "dirty". Mostly, I miss my friends who have succumbed to this disease.
I had my follow up today at Dana, and on my way home, I went to Prana, a raw restaurant outside of Boston that I used to go to with Bethany. As I sipped my immune boosting carrot smoothie on the drive back to Worcester, I went over the details of our friendship. Every word that past between us, the sound of her voice, her smile, walks we took when she was "healthy", and the ones we took when she was in a wheel chair, every part of our time together is vivid and alive within me. I cherish people like poetry, I keep them deep within me so that I can visit them always, and continue to learn from them whether they're there..or not. I suppose that all of us that participate in a cancer support group are vessles of memories. I think we all get how important it is to realize how vast and deep the impressions are cast within us as we develop friendships with other people who are part of the struggle.
I'm so happy to have a clean bill of health right now, I'm so grateful for my life and this crazy path that's allowed me to pierce through anything even close to being commonplace. More time with my babies, more time with my husband, more time with my family and friends...more time with my memories too..

1 comment:

  1. Corrie,
    Glad to hear the great news!

    BTW, you write beautifully, even if you cannot spell!

    We should get together for coffee soon-- I have some ideas for you!

    Lu-Ann

    ReplyDelete