Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Choosing my battles

We've all heard the cliche, "choose your battles carefully". This is usually followed by the even more popular, "don't burn your bridges". Well, I'm really bad at following advice and even worst at adhering to diplomacy. When I have a problem with someone, it's very obvious. I may not be tactful, but I am honest. I may not be graceful, but I get my point across. I may not win, but I will always fight.
I do need to choose my battles carefully. Not because I don't want to burn bridges, but because it's exhausting to try and maintain any sort of integrity or solid set of values without pissing someone off. I try and live by the golden rule, but I think that might actually be part of the problem. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Seems like a good idea, right? I guess it works out if what you want is to be coddled, lied to and dismissed. I prefer to be told when I make mistakes, hear the plain truth and to be treated like an adult. And therein lies the rift between me and all the people on the horizon of my life whose form I can barely make out through the smoke of what I imagine are multiple bridges all burning in unison. So be it. I'd rather warm myself by those fires, sanity in tact, than put down the bat when it's time to swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment